The 17 sculptures that adorn the Way of the Cross were designed by the Montréal sculptor Louis Parent between 1943 and 1953. They were sculpted from Indiana natural stone (United States) and Carrara marble (Italy) by Ercolo Barbieri between 1952 and 1958. The magnificent gardens were designed by the landscape architect Frederick G. Todd, who also drafted the plans for Beaver Lake.
The Way of the Cross was inaugurated on July 29, 1951 by His Eminence, Cardinal Paul-Émile Légeré, thus bringing the dream of Brother André to reality: that of providing pilgrims a special place to pray and meditate on the mystery of the Passion of Christ.
Source: Saint Joseph’s Oratory of Mount Royal
Sculpture of the Way of the Cross
Les amis de la montagne Collection