Les amis' holiday season newsletter - December 2011
if this message is not displayed properly.
"Chalet du Mont-Royal", © www.richardduret.com, Grand prix du jury 2011, "La montagne en images" photo contest
The entire team at Les amis de la montagne extends its warmest wishes this holiday season and a very Happy New Year!
SNOW IS ON ITS WAY!
Winter activities on Mont Royal in 2012
For 30 years, Les amis de la montagne have offered recreo-educational activities on Mont Royal, in collaboration with the Ville de Montréal, allowing Montrealers as well as tourists the opportunity to enjoy quality services in a unique natural environment that is accessible and within close proximity to downtown.
We invite you to take advantage of everything winter has to offer in the enchanting setting of Mont Royal, confident that Mother Nature will surpass our expectations!
HERE’S AN OVERVIEW OF OUR WINTER PROGRAMS FOR 2012:
- Les amis de la montagne’s outdoor equipment rental counter will once again be open for business on the main floor of the Beaver Lake pavilion. As soon as the conditions permit, visitors will be able to rent skates, cross-country skis and snowshoes, among other items, to take full advantage of winter fun in Mont-Royal Park.
- From December 17 to next March 11, the artificial skating rink will be open and maintained by the Ville de Montréal, and snow permitting, Les amis’ inner-tubes will be available for sliding in the corridors tailored for this thrilling activity located on the hill near the lake.
- Cross-country ski enthusiasts will be able to enjoy a series of improvements to the 22 km of trails on the mountain this winter. Thanks to the teamwork of members of the Ville de Montréal, Les amis de la montagne and Skimco, a cross-country ski club that trains regularly on the mountain, improvements have been made to trail connections between Chemin Olmsted and Beaver Lake, better access between the Piedmont loop (near Avenue du Parc) and Chemin Olmsted, as well as the merger of some trails to simplify the trail system overall. New grooming equipment will also be tested this year. Click here to download the new trail map.
- Family Snowshoeing and Tubing returns daily from December 26 to 30, every Saturday from January 7 to March 10, and daily during Spring Break, from March 5-9. Families are invited to Maison Smith to strap on a pair of our snowshoes and follow our guide along the flanks of the mountain in search of animal tracks and bird songs. After enjoying a cup of hot cocoa, families can then spend the rest of the afternoon sliding on our specially designated inner-tubes trails.
- The Club de ski de fond des Amis de la montagne returns for a fourth year with the initiation courses in cross-country skiing for children, in collaboration with Ski de Fond Québec. Bunny Rabbit lessons are available for children 4-5 years old and Jackrabbit lessons for children 6-9 years old. Courses run for eight consecutive weekends from January 7 to February 25.
- The guided activity called The Birds of Mount Royal, for all ages will be offered again for free every Saturday from January 7 to March 10 from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., departing from Maison Smith. Join a member of Les amis’ conservation patrol for a guided visit of the 7 feeder stations located on the path that circles the summit to spot the Cardinals, Juncos, Woodpeckers, Nuthatches, Goldfinches and other species that frequent the feeders in winter.
- The very popular “By the light of the city” guided snowshoe walks will be held every Saturday evening from January 7 to March 10. Three specially-themed evenings are being featured this year: “New Year’s” on December 29 (with sparkling wine), “Valentine’s Day” on February 11 (with mulled wine and chocolate) and “Blue Toque” (with ice cider).
- Finally, you always receive a warm welcome at the Café des Amis and nature-boutique at Maison Smith. This fall, Les amis de la montagne inaugurated the new permanent exhibit, “Mont Royal, A Territory to Discover”, that extends throughout this historic house in order to present the mountain’s many natural and historic elements. Maison Smith also features newly renovated meeting rooms available for rent for family receptions or meetings with colleagues. The two main rooms can also be used for exhibits, conferences and movie projections. Visits are by appointment by calling 514 84-8240, ext. 235.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
The printed calendar of winter-spring 2012 events is available at Les amis’ information centres on the mountain: at Maison Smith (1260 Chemin Remembrance), at the Beaver Lake pavilion and the Chalet du Mont-Royal.
To make reservations, call us at 514 843-8240, ext. 0 or send us an email. The calendar of events is also available on Les amis’ website or on the site of the Ville de Montréal’s Grands parcs.