Welcome to Les amis' springtime newsletter : May 2013
2013-05-24

Click here if this message is not displayed properly.


Photo: Jean-Michel Villanove

MOUNT ROYAL MONTH EVENTS

MOUNT ROYAL SUMMIT 2013

NEWS

WORKSITES ON THE MOUNTAIN


MOUNT ROYAL MONTH EVENTS

Montrealers are invited to the launch of “Dimanches en musique au Chalet du Mont-Royal” on Sunday, May 26, to celebrate the 137th anniversary of Mount Royal Park.

The event begins at 2:30 p.m. sharp in front of Smith House for a ceremonial walk to the Chalet du Mont-Royal led by the Black Watch Pipes and Drums (Royal Highland Regiment of Canada), followed by a concert at 3 p.m. by the Petits Chanteurs du Mont-Royal, under the musical and artistic direction of Gilles Patenaude.

After the concert, participants may join a bilingual guided visit of the Chalet led by Les amis de la montagne, to learn about the buildings’ history, architecture and works of art.

Photo: Éric Guilhe. Les Petits Chanteurs du Mont-Royal.

“Dimanches en musique au Chalet du Mont-Royal” is a new series of six free concerts, presented from May to October, promoting the talent of young musicians from musical institutions established on the mountain. The series is organized by Les amis de la montagne in collaboration with the Ville de Montréal, thanks to the support of the TD Bank Group.

Click here for the complete concert series program.

© BANQ. Symphonic Concert on the Chalet lookout. 1946.

Since 1932, the Chalet du Mont-Royal has hosted major cultural events, such as the concerts held between 1938 to 1964 by the Orchestre Symphonique de Montréal conducted by Wilfrid Pelletier, attracting thousands of spectators.

 

Les amis de la montagne welcomed more than 800 Montrealers on the mountain last May 5th under spectacularly sunny skies for the 22nd Corvée mountain clean-up and we have the pictures to prove it! Click on this link to relive this incredible day of community participation in support of the mountain’s conservation. (Photos: Katriina O'Kane. Photos tree planting: Delphine Delair.)

 

“La face cachée de la montagne” or the “hidden face of the mountain” is an exhibit on the treasures and the mysteries of the history of the northern summit of Mount Royal, created to underline the 70th anniversary of the Université de Montréal, Polytechnique and HEC’s presence on Mount Royal, in collaboration with the Centre d’histoire de Montréal.

During the exhibit launch event held May 16th last, Guy Breton, rector of the university, exclaimed, “We have today an exceptional campus, a heritage campus, on the most beautiful and most lively urban mountain in the world ... come and walk along the trails that wind through our campus ... discover the mountain’s third summit, that is being transformed into a magnificent park.”

Two explorations for the price of one!

When you join Les amis de la montagne’s guided walk “From the mountain to the river” or “The three summits of Mount Royal” next summer or fall, you will receive one entry to the Centre d’histoire de Montréal to discover the exhibit “The Hidden Face of the Mountain”, among others. Visit our calendar for the dates of the guided walks at www.themountroyal.qc.ca.

 

May is not over yet! Click on this link for the complete calendar of Mount Royal Month events.


MOUNT ROYAL SUMMIT 2013

The Mount Royal Summit 2013 is a privileged venue where Mount Royal’s immediate stakeholders will gather to take stock of the mountain’s protection and enhancement initiatives over the last 10 years, and to share their concerns and viewpoints on the mountain’s actual and future challenges that they have in common. This unique platform will provide the opportunity to discuss the protection of the mountain’s views, landscapes and natural environment, of the future of its great institutional domains and its governance structure.

Participate in this day of reflection and exchange on Friday, June 7 (places are limited, registration is required, $40): visit the 2013 Summit website, become a fan on Facebook or follow the proceedings on Twitter.

This event is made possible through the financial support of the Fondation Écho, Les amis de la montagne, and the Ville de Montréal and the Ministère de la Culture et des Communications as part of the Entente sur le développement culturel de Montréal.

 


NEWS

As part of the “Semences d’avenir pour le mont Royal” program, Éric Rivard, principal of École Saint-Germain-d’Outremont and Sylvie Guilbault, executive director of Les amis de la montagne, welcomed students from the fourth and sixth grades and their parents at the new Parc du Troisième Sommet on the northern flank of Mount Royal to plant 200 indigenous trees and shrubs on May 14th.

Read more by clicking here ...  

Photo: Samuel Montigné

 

Peter Jacobs, professor, landscape architect and Governor of Les amis de la montagne, received the prestigious Frederick G. Todd award from the Association des architectes paysagistes du Québec for his exceptional contribution to promoting landscape architecture in Québec, during the association’s annual conference held on April 20 last at the Montreal Science Centre.  

Peter Jacobs is a professor of the École d’architecture de paysage, Faculté d’aménagement, Université de Montréal, in addition to being lecturer emeritus and recipient of numerous prizes in landscape architecture. He received the Prix du Mont-Royal in 2009 for his commitment to and work for the protection and improvement of Mount Royal.  

Frederick Gage Todd (1876 -1948) was an apprentice of Frederick Law Olmsted and an American landscape architect who worked entirely in Canada. He was the first landscape architect to live and work in Québec. His achievements included, among others, the planning of Beaver Lake in Mount Royal Park, the gardens of the Path of the Cross at Saint Joseph’s Oratory and the first development plan for Ville Mont-Royal.  

Read the AAPQ press release by clicking here.

 

The Réseau Les Arts et la Ville Aménagement award aims to support municipal efforts to integrate culture in land planning. The Ville de Montréal received this prize in 2012 for the artistic intervention Give Peace a Chance located near the Peel entrance of Mount Royal Park, created by the artist Linda Covit and landscape architect Marie-Claude Séguin of Groupe Cardinal Hardy.  

Inaugurated in 2010, this public artwork commemorating John Lennon and Yoko Ono’s bed-in in Montreal in 1969 was integrated in the design plan of the park’s south entrance. This area frequented by tourists was rethought to create a transition zone between the city and the mountain. The work is integrated in nature as it follows the curb of the serpentine road along a nearby cascade and offers visitors a viewpoint towards the city and the river thereby enhancing the natural heritage of the site.  

For a glimpse of Give Peace a Chance, watch Les amis de la montagne’s video titled, “Discovering the Peel Street Entrance to Mount Royal Park.”  


WORKSITES ON THE MOUNTAIN  

Restoration work at the Beaver Lake basin resumed on April 18 in Mount Royal Park. The worksite is abuzz with different teams working hard to finish the restoration before summer.  

The masonry work of the perimeter wall of the lake is complete with the placement of cap stones and riprap bordering the edge of the wall. Mechanical diggers are finished levelling the bottom of the basin and the water circulation system is installed. The rocky outcrop has been cleaned to be visible at the bottom of the lake.

The remaining work essentially concerns the lake surroundings: path, lampposts and landscaping. The lake will be filled with water this week.

Photo: Jean-Michel Villanove

Watch the video on our YouTube channel tracing the work carried out since the beginning of the project in July, 2012.

Activities around the lake continue despite the closure of the basin:  

Open during construction  

Please note: certain work may be scheduled on weekends.


Since October, 2012, the Ville de Montréal’s potable water division has been carrying out major work on the primary and secondary conduits around the McTavish reservoir.  

Phase three of the work started on April 29 and will continue until the end of August, 2013, on Avenue des Pins, between Rue Durocher and Avenue du Dr-Penfield. Work has started on the south side of the avenue and will move north in a few months.  

The work is causing major traffic disruptions. To avoid the area, drivers are asked to use alternate routes through Avenue du Parc, Sherbrooke Street or Chemin de la Côte-des-Neiges. Note that one traffic lane will be maintained going westward on Avenue des Pins; the lane will be blocked going eastward between Dr-Penfield and Durocher. Some STM bus routes may be altered. Information: STM-INFO (514 786-4636).  

For more information, dial 311 (Ville de Montréal) or visit the Ville de Montréal / Info-travaux website.

Contact us. Unsubscribe.